Here are some simple tips that can help avoid trouble in the system.
- Don’t pour oil fat, or grease down into your garbage disposal or drain. The grease will accumulate over time and impede your garbage disposal’s grinding ability as well as it will clog your drains.
- Don’t turn off the disposal or the water until grinding is completed.Then, turn off the the garbage disposal first and let the water continue to run for at least 15 seconds to flush out any remaining debris.
- Don't overload the disposal. Feed the scraps down a little at a time to allow the blades to keep up with the grinding necessary.
- Don't use harsh chemicals like bleach in your disposal. This can damage the pipes and blades.
- Don't use hot water when grinding. It can liquefy grease and cause accumulation.
- Use ice to clean a disposal. Just toss in a few ice cubes and run it. As the disposal cut into the ice cubes, the ice chips will scour all the hard to reach areas and melt down the drain. Repeat once month to keep your garbage disposal in fine working order.
- Toss a lemon or lime in with the ice periodically to remove smelly odors.