Taking a few moments to review with your family a few things that don't need to be flushed down the toilet can reduce the chances of problems.
Cigarette butts.. these are not always a clogger, but cigarettes contain chemicals that should not be introduced into the sewer. In addition.. the water used to flush a small item is wasteful.
Sanitary napkins & tampons. These are the biggest culprits when it comes to toilet problems. They will clog a drain quickly! If you have a basement bathroom with and ejector pump you should be extremely careful. One tampon can stop the ejector from functioning properly.. this will leave you with a big messy problem, and possibly cost you loads of cash!
Baby wipes.. Another culprit. These do not break down the way toilet tissue does. They can hang in the pipes and compound into a huge problem over time.. if not immediately.
Condoms.. Another culprit. These are also not biodegradable. They could hang up in the pipes and can also fill with air or gasses and block the sewer line.
Cotton Swabs.. into the trash bin not the toilet. Especially the plastic ones.
Diapers.. although it sounds logical, it has been done and is a quick clogger. It absorbs liquid and stays put.
Here is a quick list of the big "NO-NO's"
- Bags, plastic, wrappings and cardboard
- Band-aids and bandage trash
- Cleaning wipes
- Condoms and other contraceptives
- Cotton balls, swabs and cotton pads
- Dental floss, dental products including teeth whitening strips
- Disposable diapers, nursing pads & baby wipes
- Facial wipes & pads
- Flammable / explosive substances
- Hair (human, dog etc)
- Kitty litters
- Expired and unused prescription or over-the-counter medications
- Mini and maxi-pads, tampons and applicators & all similar products
- Motor oil, transmission fluids, anti-freeze or any other chemicals
- Needles and sharps or syringes
- Paper towels & handi towels
- Rags or cloth
- Solvents, paints, turpentine, nail polish, polish remover
- Children's Toys, socks (gotta love kids)
- Cell phones, television remotes (again.. gotta love kids)
The list of what is okay is pretty simple to remember..
Human Waste & Toilet paper only!